[CentOS] mkinitrd-4.2.1.3-1 unsuitable for 2.6.13+ kernels?

Simen Thoresen

simentt at dolphinics.no
Mon Oct 10 08:37:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have a Opteron-machine with the MPT SCSI-controller (Symbios 53c1030).
At least in i386-mode, mkinitrd does not seem to build a usable initrd
for 2.6.13.x (.3 tested) with this kernel. With 2.6.12.6 it works fine.
I have not tested this in x86_64 -mode yet.

The symptom is that mptbase and mptscsih load, but mptscsih does not
discover any controllers nor drives, and things like

Booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
mkrootdev: lable / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed : 22
umount : /initrd/dev failed : 22
kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init

occur.

I have been informed that there are changes to the mpt-driver options
between 2.6.12 and 2.6.13, and that part of the menuconfig-screens does
indeed look different.

So - are there any plans for an mkinitrd upgrade, either from CentOS or RH?

Alternatively, is there a workaround for this problem?
I have not spent much time picking initrds appart yet, but I will be
happy to assist in testing.

Yours,
-S
--
Simen Thoresen, Wulfkit Support, Dolphin ICS
http://www.tysland.com/~simentt/cluster