[CentOS] Should I and can I upgrade GTK+/PyGTK?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Oct 12 15:04:47 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:36, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> A good analogy is someone who is disappointed with their new car because
> they can't change the camshafts or pistons by themself to make more
> power without spending a lot of money on an expert or by repeatedly
> breaking things and taking a lot of time to learn to do it themselves.
> Better to just drive the car until you can learn more about how its
> engine works.

To further the analogy, many time the Linux car will require you to change
crankshafts to install a new radio.  Or at least it seems that way.  Blame
the developers of the program you wish to install for using libraries that
are too far on the cutting edge.

I've been around the RPM dependency block enough times (as a packager) to know
this piece of it cold.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology