[Off-list] Re: [CentOS] Updates not catching up ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 12 19:17:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:07 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Craig White wrote:
>
> > This was a big update - presuming that you are talking about RHEL 4 U2.
> > Normally the updates are out very quickly. The U2 update includes things
> > such as spinning new iso's and there are a lot more issues such as i586
> > support and other platforms as well.
> >
> > These guys do a terrific job.
> >
> > patience is a virtue
>
> Agreed. I'm excited (mostly cause I'm using Ubuntu on my laptop, but would
> love to switch it back to CentOS, depending on what kernel version it is
> and how well it supports the laptop, but I'm happy to wait. I'm happy to
> have such a rock-solid distribution.
----
The kernel is 2.6.9-22

I don't think RHEL is too keen on major kernel updates. Don't know how
much backporting has been done to get it to -22

I think if you're a patient sort (untested), you can get a changelog
with something like...

 rpm -qp --changelog
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4ES/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm

Craig

believed to be clean.