[Off-list] Re: [CentOS] Updates not catching up ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 12 19:54:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:26 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Craig White wrote:

> >> Agreed. I'm excited (mostly cause I'm using Ubuntu on my laptop, but would
> >> love to switch it back to CentOS, depending on what kernel version it is
> >> and how well it supports the laptop, but I'm happy to wait. I'm happy to
> >> have such a rock-solid distribution.
> > ----
> > The kernel is 2.6.9-22
> >
> > I don't think RHEL is too keen on major kernel updates. Don't know how
> > much backporting has been done to get it to -22
>
> Yeah, I know that about Red Hat. It's the backporting part I always wonder
> about since the details that don't work on my laptop are things like ACPI
> support, a couple drivers. Not much else, really.
>
> > I think if you're a patient sort (untested), you can get a changelog
> > with something like...
> >
> > rpm -qp --changelog
> > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4ES/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm
>
> Na. The laptop works now and the wife is happy. That's all that matters
> right now.
----
1 - had to add '--nosignature' to get above command to work from CentOS
machine and it gave me the changelog.

2 - If you want to know what they added to the kernel, I really think
the changelog is a good place to look.

If you don't want to know and are happy with Ubuntu on the laptop and
you know Red Hat doesn't up the kernels on their Enterprise stuff unless
necessary, why did you even bother asking (or stating your impending
excitement)?

I was under the impression that some of the acpi tools aren't part of
the kernel but are available as add-ons.

Craig

believed to be clean.