[CentOS] Samba Setup Fails or Samba Access Fails

T'Krin tkrin at tkrin.net
Wed Oct 12 21:12:16 UTC 2005

> When I try to telnet into the centos server from win and linux boxes on
> the lan I get these messages:
>
> On linux boxes:
> "Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused"
>
> On win boxes:
> “Connecting To 192.168.1.2...Could not open connection to the host, on
> port 23.
> No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
> it.”

That is because you do not have a telnet server running.  If you `telnet
HOSTNAME` you are not connecting to the same ports that Samba/Windows use.

> Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong or what I need to do to get samba
> working on centos?

If you run `smbclient -L 127.0.0.1` on the samba server, do you see
anything?  Are you sure the smb and if needed winbind services started?
Did you enable SELinux by chance?  Can you offer up your smb.conf?  Have
you tried running nmap against 192.168.1.2 to see what ports are open?

Thanks,

~Dan