[CentOS] Can't access files at localhost

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Thu Oct 13 15:01:31 UTC 2005

> 1 - permissions for user apache to access directory.

I thought Apache was an application or a service. It's also a user in
need of rights?

[dave at localhost ~]$ ls -ld /home
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Oct  4 19:45 /home
[dave at localhost ~]$ ls -ld /home/dave
drwx------  63 dave dave 4096 Oct 13 23:55 /home/dave
[dave at localhost ~]$ ls -ld /home/dave/web
drwxrwxrwx  3 dave dave 4096 Oct 11 06:20 /home/dave/web

> does user apache have ability to descend? _rwxr_xr_x

If I read the above results correctly, /home/dave/web/ should be open to
anyone. So shouldn't apache also be able to read it?

> 2 - selinux ?

I seem to remember that for some setting ages ago, I had selinux
disabled. But how can I be sure?

> ps - changing permissions of a link is pointless, the permissions are
> derived for the original file

Okay. Thank you for that tip.

Dave