[CentOS] Good book on setting up procmail/spamassassin?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Thu Oct 13 21:46:26 UTC 2005

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:33:10PM -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
>> >Yes, there is a section titled "Invoking SpamAssassin with procmail".
>>
>> Thank you! Much appreciated!
>
> i can well believe that it would be more complicated when using
> fetchmail, but the short answer to invoking spamassassin from procmail
> is to put something like this in your .procmailrc:

It indeed is. I started using getmail yesterday and it's much better. Much
easier to setup to run in cron and much easier to get it to use
Spamassassin. But the big problem was that spamassassin wasn't setup
right. There were some flags not turned on by default that, when I flipped
them on, totally changed the way it filtered. Suddenly all the stuff that
Evolution wasn't "learning" as spam, even though I've been marking it as
junk for weeks, was suddenly getting marked as spam. So I'm happy.

Actually what I probably need now is a good book on overall Linux
administration so I can tighten up procmail and my apache setup to use 443
only. I setup our server with squirrelmail for my wife. It pulls from IMAP
which gets email from getmail via spamassassin. She's been having a
terrible time with spam and her domain's ISP wasn't filtering it well, so
this will help. I still need a little procmail reference, though, so I can
get it to filter out email from certain lists or from certain people.

> the fw means the recipe is a filter, and that procmail needs to
> wait for it to finish.
>
> the < 256000 refers to the message size in bytes.  anything bigger
> will be bypassed.

Okay, thanks.

> While i'm talking procmail, here's my favorite recipe:
>
> 	# weed out duplicate messages, first thing
> 	:0 Wh: msgid.lock
> 	| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
>
> Put this at the top of your procmailrc and you'll never see two copies
> of the same message again, as long as they have matching message-ids.

Cool, thanks. Have a recipe for filtering out people, lists? Also, what's
a good generic book for stuff like this? I mean, I know how to run Linux,
but then when more specific situations like this come up it would be nice
to have a dead tree to reach for.

Preston