[CentOS] DoS Attack

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Thu Oct 13 22:01:05 UTC 2005

John Hinton wrote:

> It's actually one of our very old boat anchors.. the replacement for
> which is sitting here waiting for me to move stuff. It's an old Compaq
> 3000R with dual 500s, a gig of ram and 6 18.2gig wide ultra drives ..
> raid 5 with hot spare. Dual P/S, redundant fans... was state of the
> art in 1999! ;)

Yeah the 3000R and 1850R machines were built like the proverbial brick
outhouse.  Until very recently, I had a few laying around as backup DNS
servers and mail servers.  We donated a few 1850R's to a local school
and they're using them for the school district's web server and mail
server.  8-)

These days, I just get a pile of commodity rackmount machines and hide
them behind a Foundry ServerIron or Cisco Localdirector for the anthill
labour effect.  Of course, if some numbnut with a zombie farm wants to
take you down, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it unless you've
got some serious bandwidth and lots of server horsepower.  Sysadmins
should just donate $20/year each to the "kneecap a hacker" fund and just
send some bad people in to "reason with" the cretins.  8-)

Cheers,