[CentOS] Why not use yum mirrorlist= instead of baseurl= in CentOS-Base.repo

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 22:27:33 UTC 2005

> If you have more than one machine behind a proxy, they will randomly
> pick servers from the mirrorlist and use different URL's, so you
> not only don't save the bandwidth by re-using the cached copy, you
> duplicate the copies in the cache.  (Fedora already does it that
> way).
>
> > I created a test script to generate mirrorlists from the
> > mirror.centos.org DNS lookup and changed yum to reference the local
> > files that were generated as a mirrorlist= and it worked.
>
> Now run a bunch of machine updates through the same squid proxy
> and see what happens.  How about fixing yum to understand what
> multiple A records in DNS is all about?

Seems like we have the perfect opportunity here to file an RFE with
skvidal for yum, and we have an intermediate fix that works in the
meantime. As for the whole proxy thing, yum is known to choke on them,
so it's a known issue and isn't really worth discussing on a list
other than the yum mailing list.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT