[CentOS] Anyone use fetchmail for multiple users?

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Fri Oct 14 17:21:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 16:03 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> Trying to figure out how to configure it for multiple users. By default
> CentOS doesn't have a daemon setup if you want to do this.

Here's how I do it:

Add the following line to /etc/crontab (unwrap it if necessary):
5/35 * * * * root /usr/bin/fetchmail -s -f /etc/fetchmailrc 2>&1

BEGIN /etc/fetchmailrc
#set daemon 600		# 600 is 10 minute intervals
# We use cron instead of daemon to ensure it keeps running
set postmaster "postmaster"	# Who gets error messages?
set no bouncemail	# Report them to Postmaster instead
set no spambounce	# Don't reject Spam.
set properties ""
poll mail.yourmailhost.foo with proto POP3 timeout 60
  user 'ann' there with password 'Annie' is 'awarbucks' here fetchall
  user 'djones' there with password 'deep6' is 'davie' here fetchall
poll mail.anotherhost.foo with proto POP3 timeout 60
  user 'bill at anotherhost.foo' there with password 'gotmine' is 'billg'
here fetchall
  user 'orphan' there with password 'little' is 'awarbucks' here
fetchall