[CentOS] Thanks, good bye, and an observation from a newbie.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 18:02:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 11:53, Collins Richey wrote:

> Yeah. Almost as wordy as the other "dearly departed one."

At least it wasn't 'thanks for all the fish...'.

> The essence
> of his post(s) is one sentence: CentOS is not the best choice for
> [bleed|lead]ing edge desktop software.

There is quite a lot of traffic both here and on the fedora list
about this exact topic.  A bit of archive browsing could have
saved some trouble.  However, in fedora's bleeding edge
quest it doesn't guarantee smooth upgrades from one (frequent)
release to the next or even that it will work on the same hardware
and their list is full of examples where such things break.

> I, too, have a parallel effort with Ubuntu underway. It has its own
> purpose and a loyal following.

Ubuntu hasn't been through a "hard" upgrade yet - like the Linux
2.4 ->2.6 change that older distros have done.  It will be
interesting to see if they can manage system-level stability
while still staying current with applications.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com