[CentOS] Update 4.2 broke LVM

Kevin Krieser

k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 16 19:51:20 UTC 2005

I upgrade using YUM my CentOS 4 system the other night.  I was
noticing that X wasn't coming up because of a gdk_thread issue
(actually, the window manager wasn't starting.  I cold get X to start
from the command line).

Surprised that it took 587MB of downloads, since I was current as of
September 29th.

When rebooting, I was forced to the login prompt, because my LVM
group with my home directory couldn't be mounted.

I'm not very familiar with LVM, I had only used it to make one
consolidated directory for my 100 and 160GB hard drives.

Though lvmdisplay could show the volume group, fsck and mount didn't
like it.

Oh, and the upgrade didn't fix the thread problem.

Anyone have an idea whether it was just me having the LVM problem?

I'm currently reinstalling CentOS4 (pre update 1) from CD.  At least
when running diskdruid, I could mount the LVM group.  So, after my
install, assuming it is still visible when booting from hard drive,
I'll backup those drives before running YUM again.  I'f the window
manager doesn't start up again, I'll reformat on my next install.