[CentOS] Hosed by 4.2

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Sun Oct 16 22:01:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 12:23 -0700, Syv Ritch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Centos since 3.0. I have been upgrading
> regularly without any major problem.
>
> 4.1 to 4.2 has been a total disaster.
>
> I ran yum update, it went through and a couple of hours later I
> rebooted and X froze with the screen just being just fuzz
> [regular rectangles, orange, green...] and the keyboard froze.
> Could not do a alt-ctrl-backspace, nor a Alt-F1-6 nor Alt-Ctrl-Del.
>
> I have a ATI9200 with a Samsung 710N [It only works at 1240x1024
> @ 60Hz, it will not work at any other frequency]
>
> This is the same hardware as I was running with 4.1.
>
> I had to reinstall 4.1, now I cannot run yum update to get the
> security updates, it tries to upgrade to 4.2.
>
> 1. Is there a way to just get the updates for 4.1 and not 4.2
> 2. Any suggestion on what went wrong with X. It's not just the
> frequency display because the keyboard also froze.
>
> Thanks
The first thing that came to my mind that there was something not nice
between 3.0 and 4.X but reading on you are already running 4.1 as I.

I confess that I was kinda in the dark...about 10 days ago I
unsubscribed to this list and then yest. morn. I started to upgrade and
knew something big was going on but didn't really know til I read on the
Centos' site.

I am sorry to hear of the problems and I guess I consider myself lucky.
Using yum update I updated all 3 of my machines w/no problems other than
a hell of a lot of time to do it and lots of restarting the update
process.

All 3 of my machines are stictly generic...most people would probably
call them junk and they probably right but I must say I have had no
problems upgrading.

thx

John Rose