[CentOS] Wherefore whitebox?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 01:12:51 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Benjamin Smith wrote:
> > I'm a recent convert from WBEL. My biggest concern with CentOS is that the
> > community here seems to want to be more than a recompile of RHEL.
>
> The base distro is nothing more than a recompile - there is no reason
> why you should have any reasons to doubt that [1].

Not to get into it again, but when you say "nothing more than a
recompile" that's just begging for me to point it out:

CentOS does modify and add a variety of packages.  These are either because

1. RH uses a proprietary update system so CentOS needed an updater and
yum works fine.
2. SRPMS didn't build properly (I believe libglade or something like that)
3. CentOS provides new bookmarks for firefox and updates
mozilla/firefox to include the OpenCert.
4. Probably some other small things that are all very justifiable, but
are more than "nothing."

Greg