[CentOS] Thanks, good bye, and an observation from a newbie.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:49:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 09:43, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Fact is, Linux in its current state, thanks to the wonderful supportive
> mailing lists (for all distributions, not just this one) is not suited for
> newbies.  Newbies be warned: you will be ridiculed for just wanting the
> system to work.  (yes, a sizable dose of sarcasm to be found there...)

I think that says more about the state of current distributions than
the users, and the fact that they are correct in seeking new ones.

> ... showing their ignorance to the fact that the initscript can get
> blown away in an RPM update at whim, but that the config file wasn't ever
> overwritten...

Isn't it always up to the whim of the RPM builder what gets blown
away and what is preserved?  Did you just mean that the config file
hasn't been changed recently?

> No, Linux isn't for newbies, and ninety percent of the time it's not the
> distribution's fault.

What is it that could be explained that couldn't be scripted?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com