[CentOS] Update 4.2 broke LVM

Kevin Krieser k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 22:34:07 UTC 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Patrick Lawrence (CentOS) wrote:

>> When rebooting, I was forced to the login prompt, because my LVM
>> group with my home directory couldn't be mounted.
>> I'm not very familiar with LVM, I had only used it to make one
>> consolidated directory for my 100 and 160GB hard drives.
>>

> I have the same issue.  I've got a volume group spread across 2
> disks and when I try to activate that volgroup I get the following:
>
> <snip>
> [root at hetfield mapper]# vgchange -ay VolGroup02
>   device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
>   Couldn't load device 'VolGroup02-DVD'.
>   1 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup02" now active
> <snip>
>
> and the relevant portion of the /var/log/messages has:
>
> <snip>
> Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: dm-linear: Device
> lookup failed
> Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: error adding target
> to table
> <snip>
>
> My other two volgroups are working fine.  It's just this third one
> that has problems.
>
> I did quite a bit of googling yesterday, but I didn't come up with
> much although I have to confess that I know jack about the device
> mapper...
>
> Regards,
>
> Pat

I'm going to give CentOS one more try before trashing the LVM group.
I'm downloading the DVD for 4.2, so tomorrow when it finishes I'll
burn a DVD with it, and try a straight install, formatting everything
but the LVM group, and see if it works that time.

I'm wanting to stick with a Redhat like system, since the plans at
work are to upgrade from RHEL 2.1 to 4 in the next few months, and my
comfort level is to stick with a similar system at home.  And until
this problem, I had been pretty happy with CentOS.

Obviously, at this point, I don't know if this is a problem with the
RHEL underpinnings, or whether it is in CentOS itself.