[CentOS] Easiest virtual mail setup?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Oct 18 20:00:54 UTC 2005

Quoting Morten <lists at kikobu.com>:

> Hi.
>
> I wish to configure a CentOS 4.1 box to be a mail server. I'd like a
> setup with virtual mail accounts, using eg. exim, courier and mysql.
>
> Do any applications exist that already combine this in an easy to
> deploy manner (yum as far as possible)? I've seen XAMS.org but that's
> discontinued.

Hmmmm....   Well....  Since you used "eg.", I guess you are open to use
different applications then listed.  CentOS comes standard with Cyrus-imapd
(it's on the install CD, and you can also install it using yum).  Default
configuraion uses system accounts to authenticate, but it is trivial to change
it to authenticate against LDAP (for example).  Exim comes standard
with CentOS
too.

So if you are willing to trade courier for cyrus, and mysql for openldap, than
you would have very easilly deployable server with components that are
actively
maintained by upstream provider (and will be for at least next 6 years).