[CentOS] Re: Samba

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Oct 18 20:32:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Craig White wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 18:54 +0000, Paul Apking wrote:
> > The lates version of SAMBA is 3.0.10 for Centos yet the latest release from
> > Sambas website is 3.0.20b?  Where would I be able to find a more up to date
> > package for Centos that has all the new features as well as the security
> > fixes? I've tried samba website and I'm not sure if I can use the rpms for
> > redhat 9 or fedora 4 ones with Centos??
> ----
> inasmuch as CentOS mirrors the upstream RHEL - the updates would come
> from RHEL which tends not to unnecessarily upgrade versions but
> backports security patches. The problem with new versions is that they
> tend to break existing configurations and Red Hat is less than eager to
> do that type of update.
>
> That said, there have been some substantial changes - especially to
> winbindd that may be of interest to you and if so, you could probably
> just download the src rpm for Fedora and rebuild it.

The only problem with rebuilding the FC samba rpm from samba.org is that
on an x86_64 platform it puts several files in the wrong place. Once that
problem is overcome it "just works".

Apparently this problem has existed for some time because there is an open
bug in the samba bugzilla from the 3.0.14 days. I updated it with a patch
against 3.0.20a that WORKSFORME but so far no one has responded to say that
the patch is either correct or incorrect.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com