[CentOS] CentOS-4/beta/preview version immediate availability

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Oct 19 15:31:37 UTC 2005

Kinda long and diverse, to keep quotes/original content ratio reasonable I'll
insert short tags here and there as reference/reminder what about was
particular quote/response (instead of quoting everything)...

Quoting Pasi Pirhonen <upi at iki.fi>:

[poweroff before 2.6 first boot]
> If you talk about Aurora 1.0 as 2.4-kernel -> it has different version
> os SILO too. SILO is the loader which is booted from disk, so that
> might be more like SILO related than kernel related.

Actually, I got the same thing with Debian, Aurora 1.92, and CetnOS
4.2beta.  It
seems that SILO loads the kernel and initrd image, and then as soon as kernel
takes over, there's exception generated and you are back to "ok" prompt.  I'm
not saying it's not SILO, just that it looked more like kernel thing to
me (but
I might be wrong).

[/boot on sw raid-1]
> It must be SILO. But i remember yaboot just recently getting the 'boot
> from mirrored disk support', so sparc has not been alone on this. On
> ia64 one can't mirror the /boot VFAT partition either, so it's no like
> unique for sparc.

Not necessarely.  Last time I attempted /boot on software RAID-1 (think it was
Aurora 1.92), it hosed partition table, /boot file system, or both (depending
on actuall steps I did to create partitions, mirrors and file system).  It was
very strange.  I spent ages trying to make it work, just to be told on Aurora
mailing list (or at least I think it was Aurora mailing list) that it simply
isn't supposed to work.

[how to get custom lvm in text mode]
> That is general trick, but good to know. One could boot to rescue mode
> too and use the shell there to make what even needed (ctrl-z would be
> quiker tho).

Actually, I created them from rescue mode, however I needed to ctrl-z during
installation and do vgscan before partitioning stage (or disk druid
isn't going
to see those logical volumes).  So I could have just saved some time
and did it
all during installation...

[text version of firstboot]
> Fortunately you can just leave it there and it'll timeout dooner or
> later :)

Well, I wanted to configure couple of things right there, so I managed to
navigate it somehow ;-)