[CentOS] Re: Easiest virtual mail setup?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Oct 19 16:01:11 UTC 2005

Quoting Morten <lists at kikobu.com>:

> I'll do this rather than compile my own imapd+mta. The only drawback
> is LDAP over an SQL DB, but I guess it's worth it.

Well, Cyrus is really using SASL under the hood.  So it is possible to
get it to
auth against SQL DB directly, if the requirement is to have users in
SQL DB.  I
mentioned LDAP only because it is more common to use LDAP for this kind of
stuff than SQL these days.  I typed couple of keywords into Google and it spit
out several different approaches to get it to work that way (some using PAM,
some using pwcheck daemon, some using auxprop).  You may also want to check
archives of info-cyrus and cyrus-sasl mailing lists (those two would be the
best places to look, IMO).  Both can be found at
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/mailing-list.html