[CentOS] CentOS-4/beta/preview version immediate availability

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Wed Oct 19 16:43:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:31:54AM -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Quoting Pasi Pirhonen <upi at iki.fi>:
>

> BTW, just out of curiousity I attempted to compile "hello world" program
> with
> -m64, just to find out it can't be linked.  Would it be possible to include
> libgcc_s_64.so in next update (I guess it would be libgcc.sparc64
> package)? Not really possible to compile much in 64-bit mode without it
> (well, you can
> compile, but not link) ;-)

My bad. Should be at

http://beta.centos.org/centos/4.2beta/updates/sparc/RPMS/

in few minutes (when it's synched up).

I was so thinking not to make it 'polluted with something that should
not be there' for first version, so i left out even some basic stuff.

libgcc.sparc64 isn't what is hurting anyone :) It's the libgcj.sparc64
which wan't half of the known universe with it.

I did put up the libstd++.sparc64 there too.

> >Most of those are needs for 64bit gcc to build. These days the damn
> >thing needs about half of the universe to even build.
>
> Yeah I know.  I don't look forward to recompiling gcc even on
> relatively recent
> Intel hardware.  Guess on old(er) Sparcs it is ten times worse (at least).

It more like it needs so much 64bit libs to build the gcj, but the very
same thing aplies for ppc64. ppc64 is a bit more polished on this
codebase as it's officially supported arch.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/