[CentOS] kernel sourcecode ?

Wed Oct 19 17:24:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:26 +0100, Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, that's not that. You're mistaken.
>
> Until 4.1, there was a kernel-sourcecode-2.6.9 RPM.
> Now in there isn't.
>
> So, again, where is the kernel's sourcecode ?
>
> Warm Regards,
> Mário Gamito

The Kernel sourcecode is not like kernel-source.  It is a noarch rpm
that does not get arch specific patches added to the source, making it
relatively worthless as a package for building kernels.

Because of that, and because it is not down by either fedora or the
upstream provider, we are also no longer producing a kernel-sourcecode
rpm.

If one needs a full kernel tree, they can download the kernel SRPM from
here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/SRPMS/

OR

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/SRPMS/

Then install the source with the command:

rpm -i kernel-xxxx.src.rpm

Then go to the SPECS directory  (Usually /usr/src/redhat/SPECS) and get
a full kernel tree with the command:

rpmbuild -bp --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec

(substitute your target arch)

Then go to the BUILD directory and you will have a real (and patched)
tree:

cd ../BUILD