[CentOS] 4.1 being dropped from mirrors

Connie Sieh csieh at fnal.gov
Wed Oct 19 18:56:08 UTC 2005

Bruce,

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

> --- Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Humm.. Even Red Hat is supporting RHEL releases longer than this.
> > > We use  RHEL  AS Release with full support.
> >
> > Not correct. RHEL is on RHEL 4 update 2.  If you run up2date -fu, you
> > will get the full updates. Follow that with a cat /etc/redhat-release
> > and it will confirm thusly (note we use ES, not AS, but same applies):
> >
> > [jperrin at xxxx ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2)
> > [jperrin at xxxx ~]$
> >

> > it's the major version number that has the support, not the minor.
> >

> > > Does this mean if Red Hat comes out with more updates for RHEL 4.1
> > > you will not apply them to Centos 4.1 any more?
> >
> > All updates are being applied to the 4.2 tree now, just as upstream is
> > applying them to AS4 update 2.
> >

> > --
> > Jim Perrin
> > System Administrator - UIT
> > Ft Gordon & US Army Signal Center
> >

> Hi Jim!
>
> I not real concerned with how the numbering of releases are done.
>
> This is what I am concerned with:
>    1). Don't see any need at this point to update from 4.1 to 4.2

One of the differences between the Centos RHEL rebuild and the Scientific
Linux RHEL rebuild is that we keep all the updates as updates.  The only
things that we put in a auto yum area are the security errata.  This was
done because many in the scientific community want to "stay" on a release
for a while,  they can tolerate security errata but not big major changes.

So if a user wants to install 4.1 and stay there for a while then that is
ok as all we add is security errata.  We provide a yum "errata check only
script"  in case you only want to be notified of errata vs auto updating.

If they want to move to 4.x in the future then they download a new
yum.conf that points to the 4.x area and do a yum update.

Scientific Linux is Centos compatible as it is a RHEL rebuild just as
Centos is.

More info is available from

https://www.scientificlinux.org

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/

-Connie Sieh