[CentOS] kernel sourcecode ?

Linus Hicks lihicks at gpi.com
Wed Oct 19 19:00:55 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> The Kernel sourcecode is not like kernel-source.  It is a noarch rpm
> that does not get arch specific patches added to the source, making it
> relatively worthless as a package for building kernels.
>
> Because of that, and because it is not down by either fedora or the
> upstream provider, we are also no longer producing a kernel-sourcecode
> rpm.
>
> If one needs a full kernel tree, they can download the kernel SRPM from
> here:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/SRPMS/
>
> OR
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/SRPMS/
>
> Then install the source with the command:
>
> rpm -i kernel-xxxx.src.rpm
>
> Then go to the SPECS directory  (Usually /usr/src/redhat/SPECS) and get
> a full kernel tree with the command:
>
> rpmbuild -bp --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec
>
> (substitute your target arch)
>
> Then go to the BUILD directory and you will have a real (and patched)
> tree:
>
> cd ../BUILD

Note that alternatively, you can make your own kernel-sourcecode rpm by editing
the spec file once you install the .src.rpm. You will see several "%define"s
right near the front, one of which is "buildsource" and by setting that to "1"
(and I usually set the others to "0" so it won't take so long), rather than
doing the rpmbuild -bp, you can then do something like:

rpmbuild -bb --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec

and you will get your own kernel-sourcecode rpm in the RPMS/<arch> directory.

Linus