[CentOS] corrupt rpm problem

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 17:47:49 UTC 2005

On 10/20/05, Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
>  I was aware of the 64 bit and 32 bit versions, but any yum'ing whatsoever
> fails now with a conflict from an existing installed version
>
>  why would a yum clean and rebuilddb not be the best way to fix rpm errors,
> certainly this has been the methods I have succesffully employed for many
> years....

 You need to shift your thinking to multi-arch packages. RPM doesn't
make this clear by default, which is why I suggested the line for your
.rpmmacros file. Nuking should not be a troubleshooting step, but
should be done with care, and generally as a last resort.

>  It seems that yum is not able to update existing packages anymore and tries
> to install  newer rpms along side the old ones....
>
>  Here is a sample out put of "yum install mysql-server"
>
>   Install: mysql-server.x86_64 0:4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1 - base
>
>  Performing the following to resolve dependencies:
>    Update: mysql.x86_64 0:4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1 - base
>  Total download size: 9.9 M
>  Downloading Packages:
>  Running Transaction Test
>  Finished Transaction Test
>  Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/mysqldumpslow from install of
> mysql-4.1
>  .12-3.RHEL4.1 conflicts with file from package mysql-4.1.10a-2.RHEL4.1
>    file /usr/share/info/mysql.info.gz from install of mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1
> conf
>  licts with file from package mysql-4.1.10a-2.RHEL4.1
>    file /usr/share/man/man1/mysql.1.gz from install of
> mysql-4.1.12-3.RHEL4.1 con
>  flicts with file from package mysql-4.1.10a-2.RHEL4.1
>
>  etc etc

This is very possibly still a multiarch issue, which again would
require you to add the line I suggested to your .rpmmacros file. that
will show if these packages are for i386, or for x86_64. This is the
critical step in figuring what's causing your problem.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT