[OT] Re: [CentOS] Centos 4.2 and Boot/Root on RAID? -- avoid blanket statements on RAID hardware

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:43:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 12:09, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> > Often it is because for the extra money, you get no extra
> > features except being locked into some particular vendor's
> > product
>
> As I have pointed out before, that depends on the vendor.
>
> Please don't blanket all vendors as the same.  Some vendors
> have 6+ years of proven inter-product hardware RAID volume
> compatibility with excellent Linux support.

Even if they permit drives to move between different models
it still means you have to have a spare compatible one handy if
your primary box dies.

> 3Ware has maintained 6+ years of inter-model volume
> compatibility -- far more, far better and far longer than
> Linux's MD/LVM which has gone through several, significant
> changes.  This is indisputable, despite the insistance of
> some in the MD/LVM community -- it's more about ignorance of
> 3Ware than usage (or improper usage of 3Ware cards for
> software RAID, instead of using their hardware RAID
> features).

You can mount one partition out of an md RAID1 set directly
as the underlying partition, bypassing any concern about
compatibility of md versions if you need to recover data.
LVM is a different story.

Nothing against the 3Ware cards - I agree they are very good,
although you did forget to mention the various bugs they have
had and fixed over those 6+ years.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com