[CentOS] Yum update crashed, now I have lots of missing deps

Fri Oct 21 12:04:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 12:00 +0200, Remco Barendse wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
> > Remco Barendse wrote:
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: gcc4 = 4.0.0-0.14.EL4 is needed by package
> >> libmudflap-devel
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.3.1-5.5 is needed by package
> >
> > ( this issue along with the 'existance of more than 1 instance of the same
> > pkg name' has been discussed previously a few times, look through the recent
> > archieves for the relevant .rpmmacros etc )
> >
> > firstly, check what mirror you are using in /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
> > - make sure that is responsivle ( and  local to you - check
> > http://www.centos.org/mirrors for a list of mirrors )
> >
> > Then remove all files from the /var/lib/rpm/ directory except the Packages
> > file, and run
> >
> > rpm -v --rebuilddb
> > yum clean all
> > yum update yum
> > yum update kernel* audit*
> > reboot
> > yum -y update
> >
> > Let us know how you get along.
>
> It seems that the previous updates have made a complete mess of my system,
> about every package is there at least 3 times.
>
> Will the above solve this problem too?
>
> I'm hesitating a bit to complete the above steps in order not to increase
> the mess.
>
> I tried it with samba packages (I had 5 packages of samba-common
> installed) removed the lot and reinstalled everything. Now samba seems to
> be clean but if I have to do this for tevery package (about 150!!) I'm
> better off re-installing the box....
>
> Any advice greatly appreaciated

I want to point out that in the release announcement, I discuss the
possible (upstream) problem with doing upgrades on x86_64 machines ...
and a way to perform the upgrade that minimizes the problem:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2005-October/000784.html

(See the ISSUES: section which points to this bug:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1037

and that points to the upstream accounts of this issue.

I am not sure if your issue is this one, or something else.