[CentOS] Backup Solutions based on Linux

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Oct 21 13:23:50 UTC 2005

Quoting Joe Polk <listuser.jav at gmail.com>:

> I'm having particular issues running Veritas in my Windows environment. The
> agent just seems to baulk on some servers. I've looked into backup solutions
> running on Linux before but there doesn't seem to be much. Is anyone
> familiar with something that has Windows agents and yet managed by Linux?

There's a number of commercial solutions.  Veritas server can also be
on Linux. Other than Veritas, there's Legato Networker, then there's
that HP thing
(OmniBackup or whatever it is called), IBM has something (can't remember the
name).

In open source world, there's Bacula which works closest to the way commercial
backup solutions work.  It will backup both Unix and Windows clients.  Amanda
is more Unix-world oriented, but I guess it might be able to backup Windows
clients too.