[CentOS] SCSI schizophrenia

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 21 15:26:36 UTC 2005

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> OK - I only have one tape drive but a real problem these
> days backing up. I ***may*** have connected the SCSI
> connector to the 'other' external connector when shifting
> stuff around in the rack.
> # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD 0 RAID5   69G Rev: 4.10
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI
> revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 04 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: PE/PV    Model: 1x3 SCSI BP      Rev: 1.1
>   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI
> revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 05 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ULTRIUM06242-XXX Rev: 1514
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI
> revision: 03
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 05 Id: 06 Lun: 01
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ULTRIUM06242-XXX Rev: 1514
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI
> revision: 03
> How do I get it 're-parse' the scsi system so it only
> indicates one ULTRIUM tape drive? Me suspects this is
> why I am having backup issues.

2 Options ...

1.  If the devices are not in use, merely "rmmod" the SCSI
stack (st, sd, host, mod_scsi/scsi_mod) and then re-probe
(modprobe st).

2.  You can rescan the SCSI bus in a variety of ways (even a
few more with kernel 2.6).  There are countless scripts
usable for SCSI, FireWire, etc... available via a Google
search ("Linux SCSI rescan").