[CentOS] cache memory not being used

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Mon Oct 24 12:50:02 UTC 2005

yes xorg is different but they forked xfree since xfree went to an
incompatible license.

William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>>On 10/20/05, William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
>>

>>>18 megs of swap with a gig installed is nothing significant.  As far as
>>>cached memory not being used.  If xorg is using 750 megs of ram there's
>>>not a whole bunch left for a file cache after the other applications are
>>>also allocated.
>>>

>> The xorg memory consumtion is a different issue, I've had that
>>problem for awile now, thats why I put in another 512 of ram so I can
>>reboot twice a month instead of every weekend.
>>
>> I'm curious if something has changed in the way memory is managed, I
>>was under the impression that there should be very little free memory
>>since the cache and buffers should be using it.
>>

> Sounds like a memory leak, not unheard of in X servers. SGI has had some
> famous ones over the years :-). Also not uncommon given the change from
> XFree86 to Xorg (different team as I understood it).
>
> --
> 	William A. Mahaffey III

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099