[CentOS] Re: PostgeSQL 8.0.4 on CentOS4.2

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Oct 26 17:33:53 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 11:56, James B. Byrne wrote:
> That would have been really useful information to have, back on
> October 17 when I first asked the question about PostgreSQL 8 and
> CentOS 4 on this list.  Lamar Owan provided a lot of help in his
> reply but I either missed any reference to the compatibility
> libraries or he failed to mention them. It is too bad that I was
> not aware of this when I carried out my procedure.

I mentioned that some packages depended upon earlier version of libpq.  I did
not specifically mention the compat libs package; my apologies for the
omission.

If one knows what one is doing --nodeps is not going to cause your
server/development box to meltdown.  It is not a good idea to routinely use
it, but there are cases where it is nice to have available, as long as you
understand the consequences.  In this particularly instance it is and was
harmless.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology