[CentOS] Minimal server install and a few other questions.....

Bards1888

bards1888 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:08:31 UTC 2005

Hello,

I was wondering what is the smallest install that anyone has managed
with 4 (4.2 to be precise) ? I'm looking at a machine running as a VPN
in a DMZ, so I'm going to remove/NOT INSTALL things like gcc, X,  etc.
I'm planning on putting this on a 1gb USB stick and booting from it.

That reminds me, was there going to be a 1 CD server install image ?

The other thing I noticed is that if I install on x86_64 I get around
400mb in /usr/lib *and* /usr/lib64, is this entirely necessary ?
Especially if I dont want the 32bit stuff ? How can one tell which
packages are responsible for the libs in /usr/lib/ ?  I tried a random
filem from that directory;

[root at services lib]# rpm -q --whatprovides libOggFLAC.so.1
flac-1.1.0-7
[root at services lib]# rpm -qa | grep -i flac
flac-1.1.0-7
[root at services lib]# rpm -qi flac-1.1.0-7
Name        : flac                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.1.0                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Tue 22 Feb 2005
10:56:45 EST
Install Date: Wed 13 Apr 2005 11:50:50 EST      Build Host:
guru.build.karan.org
Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM: flac-1.1.0-7.src.rpm
Size        : 707386                           License: LGPL/GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sun 27 Feb 2005 06:37:33 EST, Key ID
a53d0bab443e1821
Packager    : Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
URL         : http://flac.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : An encoder/decoder for the Free Lossless Audio Codec.
Description :
FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Grossly oversimplified, FLAC
is similar to Ogg Vorbis, but lossless. The FLAC project consists of
the stream format, reference encoders and decoders in library form,
flac, a command-line program to encode and decode FLAC files, metaflac,
a command-line metadata editor for FLAC files and input plugins for
various music players (the xmms plugin is in a sub-package).

I cant see an 'arch' in there anywhere, however on the Centos DVD I
found flac for both i386 and x86_64.

So why are there rpms for both archs with the x86_64 build ?

Thanks in advance.