[CentOS] AIC7901 RAID320 with CENTOS4 not recognized

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Sat Oct 29 20:50:55 UTC 2005

Erick Perez wrote:
> An INTEL Server motherboard model SE7501BR2 with an onboard Adaptec
> AIC7901 controller (with HostRAID) is not being recognized by CENTOS
> 4.
> The AIC79xx driver loads correctly, however it does not "see" the fact
> that I used the HostRAID onboard software to create a RAID 1 set.
>
> I went to the INTEL site and only found a driver for RHEL 3.0 and I
> was unable to find a driver on the adaptec site.
>
> The CENTOS4 installer gives me the option to create partitions, raids, etc.
> This is not what we want since creating a RAID by software it's
> supposed to be more slow that doing it hardware based right?
>
> Does the CENTOS4 support the AIC7901 with HostRAID or not?

In Adaptec speak HostRAID is software RAID.  What you have is not
hardware RAID controller.  The card is really just a standard SCSI
controller with fake RAID BIOS.  Create software RAID devices under
CentOS (and you'll get exactly the same thing as if configuring them in
BIOS and using Adaptec device driver).