[CentOS] Cyrus firstname.lastname at domain

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Sun Oct 30 17:26:00 UTC 2005

Dave Hornford wrote:
> I'm converting an environment from mandrake to centos, and always try to
> use the applications standard on the distribution. This means a switch
> from courier to cyrus.
>
> A bit of reading uncovered a potential problem - the site uses
> firstname.lastname at domain, and I have come across references that Cyrus
> does not support this. I couldn't find this limitation in the Cyrus
> documentation.
>
> Is it true?

Hmm. Do you need it as >username<? You could create usernames as
firstname_lastname at domain and use the virtusertable to map
firstname.lastname at domain to the loginname using the '_'.

Another posibility would be to use LDAP... Harder...

And yet another posibility (taken from man imapd.conf):

    unixhierarchysep: 0
      Use  the  UNIX  separator  character  '/' for delimiting levels of
      mailbox hierarchy.  The default is to use  the  netnews  separator
      character '.'.

I never tried it myself, but it should work fine...

Best,
  Oliver