[CentOS] Cyrus firstname.lastname at domain

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Sun Oct 30 22:15:33 UTC 2005

Dave Hornford wrote:
> Oliver Falk wrote:
>
>> Dave Hornford wrote:
>>
>>> I'm converting an environment from mandrake to centos, and always try
>>> to use the applications standard on the distribution. This means a
>>> switch from courier to cyrus.
>>>
>>> A bit of reading uncovered a potential problem - the site uses
>>> firstname.lastname at domain, and I have come across references that
>>> Cyrus does not support this. I couldn't find this limitation in the
>>> Cyrus documentation.
>>>
>>> Is it true?
>>

>> Hmm. Do you need it as >username<? You could create usernames as
>> firstname_lastname at domain and use the virtusertable to map
>> firstname.lastname at domain to the loginname using the '_'.
>>
>> Another posibility would be to use LDAP... Harder...
>>
>> And yet another posibility (taken from man imapd.conf):
>>
>>    unixhierarchysep: 0
>>      Use  the  UNIX  separator  character  '/' for delimiting levels of
>>      mailbox hierarchy.  The default is to use  the  netnews  separator
>>      character '.'.
>
> Oliver, Thanks
> All I need to do is maintain email address format
> firstname.lastname at domain, I do not need these as either
> unix/windows(samba) usernames. Currently these are a mixed bag of
> firstname, initiallastname & lastname. One step on the migration is to
> at least standardize the new ones.
 >
> Any suggestions on whether we'd be better off operationally using ldap
> to control the mapping or the virtusertable. It is a smallish site (<50
> users), who are looking for a very automated administrative/operations
> environment.
>
> This is my first cyrus so what I don't know is everything :-)

Sebastian allready said what there is to say 'bout Cyrus. :-)

There's no need to use LDAP for such a small site, if you don't want to
grow very much or there are really good reasons. :-)

If you don't need the loginnames as first.last at domain, then you're
better off with not using unixhierarchysep, as the normal way using the
netnews seperator is really good tested. :-)

So long,
  Oliver