[CentOS] VPN via PPTP and MPPE

James B. Byrne

ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Mon Oct 31 21:27:43 UTC 2005

I have set up a VPN over PPTP on a CentOS server using the
DKMS module rpm dkms-0-2.0.6-3.el4 from
http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/repodata/repovie
w/dkms-0-2.0.6-3.el4.kb.html

and

kernel_ppp_mppe-0.0.5-2dkms.noarch.rpm at
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora-
core-3.phtml.

I have configured the pptpd server on Centos4 to use MS_CHAPv2,
128bit encryption and to assign server side and client IP addresses
in the range a.b.c.42-48 and a.b.c.52-58 respectively.

I have also opened the firewall for tcp port 1723 and the GRE
protocol (47).

I have configured a Microsoft Win2Kpro client and I can connect and
establish a VPN.  However I am missing something because:

1.	If I try and connect to a machine on the local network segment
then the VPN channel is not used (this is probably the correct
behaviour but it is not what I want and I need to know how to force
local network paths over an encrypted connection).

2.	If I try and connect to a host outside our local network then
the traffic is not routed out through the gateway but it does
travel over the vpn to the local pptdp server.

So, what am I missing in all of this?  Are there options for the
pptpd that I need to set for this to work?

I have a similar problem when I connect from outside the local
network segment.  The the vpn connects but then I cannot reach any
other host.

Any suggestions are welcome.  I am a digest subscriber so if you
could copy my email address on your reply then I would be
appreciative.

Regards,
Jim

--