[CentOS] Moving the Home dir to new server

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Sep 2 19:33:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 08:34 -0600, aly.dharshi at telus.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I would suggest LDAP as NIS/NIS+ are slowly dying out in favour of
> LDAP.

My point started with ...
  "It makes it extremely easy and painless."

In other words, it would take _less_ effort to setup than to manually
figure out what files, copy them over, etc...

I love LDAP, and now that Netscape Directory Server is now Fedora
Directory Server, yes, for the long haul, it's great.

> You can use something like FDS or OpenLDAP to accomplish this, PADL
> has some migration scripts for this to happen. The site,
> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com has some more information about this
> under the howto's especially the Posix one.

Yes, I use the PADL tools all-the-time.  But the endeavor to setup LDAP
and everything else gets involved.

Whereas you can setup the current server as an NIS server, run
"Makefile" in /var/yp and bam!  You're done.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com