[CentOS] installing on 915GAVL motherboard kernel bombs and/or X bombs

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Sep 2 21:53:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I got a new box today. 915GAVL motherboard. Celeron 2.4G
> 1 GIG mem 80GIG SATA drive.
>
> When I boot centos I have had various stages of success.
> Once I got as far as partitioning the disk manually and X blew
> and the machine rebooted.
>
> Couple times I have had kernel crashes at different stages of install.
>
> I have not has trouble installing before and was wondering if there
> are suggestions.
>
> I did try installing without X "linux text pci=noapci" and that stopped
> also.
>
> All anaconda says is "install exited abnormally".
>
> I went ot the hardware monitor portion and seems stable CPU temp
> at around 48-50C.
>
> Any ideas?

I have one box that failed in similar random ways despite repeatedly
passing all hardware diagnostic tests I ran.

I finally ended up installing the minimal package set and then, after
the installation was complete and I'd rebooted, using "yum
groupinstall" to finish the job.

Since then, the machine has run without complaint...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com