[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Sat Sep 3 13:34:02 UTC 2005

> http://www.clasohm.com/blog/one-entry?entry_id=12096

Thank you for that link. However, it is full of advice that is hard to
follow. Things like "Change /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules so that
udev does not touch the Palm ttyUSB device nodes", which is something I
don't know how to do.

Anyway, I did my best to try and follow some of the instructions. It
said to press the hotsync button on the palm, and then "cp -a" the files
that appear, and then change the permissions on the resulting files. So
I tried that and got this result:

[root at localhost dev]# ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* /dev/pilot
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      7 Sep  3 22:25 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 188, 0 Sep  3 22:25 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-------  1 dave uucp 188, 1 Sep  3 22:25 /dev/ttyUSB1
[root at localhost dev]# cp -a /dev/pilot pilot

... but wait. If I name the file the same thing, then it says file
already exists. If I name it something else, it has nothing to do with
the files that Jpilot is looking for.

Can someone break this down into something a little simpler? I'm a
newbie here, and the wealth of information on that page isn't exactly
designed to be easily accessible.

Dave