[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 3 17:46:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 02:01 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >Do another ls -al on those created files after making those adjustments.
> >

> Thank you for the advice. I've created a 10-visor.rules file with the
> line as you had it written, and removed the old file just to be sure.
>
> Unfortunately, it looks as though the permission settings are exactly
> the same as before.
>
> Here it is now:
> [root at localhost rules.d]# ls -al /dev/ttyUSB* /dev/pilot
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      7 Sep  4 01:54 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 188, 0 Sep  4 01:54 /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-------  1 dave uucp 188, 1 Sep  4 01:54 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> Here is what it was:
> [root at localhost dev]# ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* /dev/pilot
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      7 Sep  3 11:57 /dev/pilot -> ttyUSB1
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 188, 0 Sep  3 11:57 /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-------  1 dave uucp 188, 1 Sep  3 11:57 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> Is there anything I can do in the 10-visor.rules file or elsewhere that
> will force the tty files to be created with permissions accessible by
> the user "dave"?
----
If you look at the above - it already is usable (in fact owned) by the
user dave.

/dev/pilot is a link which has all permissions - normal for a link since
the link doesn't make the call about permissions. It is a link to
ttyUSB1 which as you see is a block device owned by dave (and dave has
read/write permissions).

make sure that 'jpilot' or any other program that you wish to use to
sync your Palm, uses /dev/pilot

Also note - /dev/pilot, /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 only exist when
the sync is chosen on the handheld or the cradle. Once that has
completed or given up, an 'ls -l /dev/pilot /dev/ttyUSB*' should/will
return nothing

Craig