[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation

Sean O'Connell oconnell at soe.ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 4 03:43:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 12:30 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >If you look at the above - it already is usable (in fact owned) by the
> >user dave.
> >

> Well, if you say so, I believe you.
> The reason I think I don't have the correct permissions settings is
> because on the following web page, it says that the error I get is
> because the permissions are wrong. If I already have the "correct"
> permissions settings, and I still get this error, then I'm at a loss to
> diagnose the problem.
> http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Running_JPilot_as_a_non-privileged_user.html
>

> >make sure that 'jpilot' or any other program that you wish to use to
> >sync your Palm, uses /dev/pilot
> >

> In the JPilot preferences page, it has a field for entering in "Serial
> Port". In that field I have "/dev/pilot".
> There does not seem to be an option or way to specify whether or not the
> connection is USB, but I assume if it's going to /dev/pilot then it
> should be looking in the right place...?

It looks like /dev/pilot is owned by you, but (iirc) the palms/visors
and such use /dev/pilot and one other USB channel to do the sync. Based
on your earlier comments, it look like it might require you to also
own /dev/ttyUSB0. One thing that you might be able to do is use

/etc/security/console.perms

Add the following entries (below the comments)

# device classes -- these are shell-style globs
<pilot> /dev/ttyUSB*

# permission definitions
<console>  0660 <pilot>     0660 root.uucp

Then log off and back in. This should set things up so that the person
logged in on the machine console (X or virtual console) will own these
devices.

--
Sean