[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 4 11:14:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 20:43 -0700, Sean O'Connell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 12:30 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > >If you look at the above - it already is usable (in fact owned) by the
> > >user dave.
> > >

> > Well, if you say so, I believe you.
> > The reason I think I don't have the correct permissions settings is
> > because on the following web page, it says that the error I get is
> > because the permissions are wrong. If I already have the "correct"
> > permissions settings, and I still get this error, then I'm at a loss to
> > diagnose the problem.
> > http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Running_JPilot_as_a_non-privileged_user.html
> >

> > >make sure that 'jpilot' or any other program that you wish to use to
> > >sync your Palm, uses /dev/pilot
> > >

> > In the JPilot preferences page, it has a field for entering in "Serial
> > Port". In that field I have "/dev/pilot".
> > There does not seem to be an option or way to specify whether or not the
> > connection is USB, but I assume if it's going to /dev/pilot then it
> > should be looking in the right place...?
>
> It looks like /dev/pilot is owned by you, but (iirc) the palms/visors
> and such use /dev/pilot and one other USB channel to do the sync. Based
> on your earlier comments, it look like it might require you to also
> own /dev/ttyUSB0. One thing that you might be able to do is use
>
> /etc/security/console.perms
>
> Add the following entries (below the comments)
>
> # device classes -- these are shell-style globs
> <pilot> /dev/ttyUSB*
>
> # permission definitions
> <console>  0660 <pilot>     0660 root.uucp
>
> Then log off and back in. This should set things up so that the person
> logged in on the machine console (X or virtual console) will own these
> devices.
----
/etc/security/console.perms would clearly be the wrong place to do that

this is udev stuff...

evidently this is in a state of flux but on FC-3 and I would presume
CentOS-4 you would want to have an entry...
# cat /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-udev.permissions
#set Palm Pilot rwx
pilot*:root:usb:0666
pilot*:craig:usb:0666

Craig