[CentOS] Paranoid Firewalling

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Sep 6 22:31:38 UTC 2005

Good question Alex. However, I've never studied the scripts that 'script
kiddies' use and so have no answer.

Part of what has prompted this change is the recent surge of brute-force
password attacks. From the timing of the password attempts, it's clear
that these are script driven.

I found a perl script that watches for failed logins. After a
configurable number, the script enters the IP address into
/etc/hosts.deny. After a configurable number of days, the script then
removes the IP address.

What I see in /var/log/secure is a whole series of 'Invalid user'
messages followed by 'Failed password for invalid user' messages. These
will then, because of the script, be terminated by a 'refused connect
from' message when the address is entered into hosts.deny.

My point in all this is that I only ever see *one* 'refused connect'
message. So at least for this script, it gives up when it can't connect
anymore.

Kirk Bocek