[CentOS] Restricting ftp users to their directory

Ajay Sharma ssharma at revsharecorp.com
Tue Sep 6 22:58:20 UTC 2005

Todd Cary wrote:
> The user can get to /home and see the other dirs...is there a way to
> make it so the user cannot view the other dirs?

Check out the vsftpd.conf man page and search for 'chroot'.  I have it
enabled and lock every into their home directory.  Then I also enable
the exclude list so that when I ftp in I can go anywhere.

Here's the excerpt from my config:

# You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their
# home directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes
# a list of users to NOT chroot().

# chroot everyone
chroot_local_user=YES
# enable the excempt list
chroot_list_enable=YES
# and here's the list
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list