[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 8 19:44:56 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 13:07, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>

>> So, seriously, the best thing would be for you to create a directory
>> that contains all your RPMS ... you put only the ones that you have
>> approved in there.  (You do not need to build anything from SRPMS).
>> You
>> make that accessible from the web and run createrepo on it.
>
> OK, but I basically want to include all official updates here but
> I just want to delay/control rolling them out to make sure there
> are no surprises.

Then you: point your test machines to the official repos, after testing,
move the tested RPMs to your locally managed repo and run createrepo.
Done.

> That means I need to copy that whole repository (of a
> size you said was such a problem mirroring that you had to break it at the
> point releases)

I believe Mr. Hughes was referring to the size of the whole mirror (all
releases and all updates).  Using the method above you only have to
download the packages you need.

[snip]
> where someone has tagged the 'known good' states as
> the changes were added.

Someone who?  When updates are released they are believed to be in 'known
good' states, but yet you (and a good number of people) still test them in
your environment.  Having anyone else besides yourself tagging things
doesn't work, so you will be keeping your own repos anyway.

>> You only put authorized RPMS in there, and you rerun createrepo every
>> time you put a new RPM in there.
>
> Normally I'll want to mirror the official repository to get the
> set for testing.  How do I know when you are finished doing your updates so
> that I don't get an rpm with a dependency that you haven't copied in yet?

You see the errors when you do the yum update on your test machine (see
above, test machines are the only ones looking at the official repos).  Or
you look at the announce list and verify that the newer packages are all
there.

--
William Hooper