[CentOS] Intel RAID controller

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Sep 8 20:34:20 UTC 2005

Mark Belanger <mark_belanger at ltx.com> wrote:
> For the sake of completeness (and people searching the
> archives) Centos3.5 has the drivers I need.

Drivers for just the ATA/SATA channel support?
Or the FRAID disk organization?

I've seen people think the ATA/SATA driver is the FRAID
support, when the FRAID is in addition to the ATA/SATA
channel support.

> Thanks to all who suggested alternate methods for CentOS
> versions that do not.

In kernel 2.6, the LVM2-DM (Device Mapper) can do a lot.
It can read the FRAID vendors disk organization, and LVM2-MD
can handle provide the software RAID logic (without the
vendor's proprietary, 3rd party code)

It's also _very_broken_ too.

Furthermore, vendors change disk organization/logic
continuously between models.

Lastly, I've also not seen FRAID-5 supported yet either.