[CentOS] Delay during boot up

Fri Sep 9 09:40:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 15:10 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> CentOS has recently started booting slower than it did before. Just when
> X starts up and the screen is dark blue and the only thing is the hour
> glass in the middle of screen turning round and round. It stays like
> that for quite a while, and then later it will resume the normal boot
> process. This long pause did not exist before.
>
> This seems to have started happening after I installed a FAT32 drive. So
> my guess is that for whatever reason, it takes CentOS a while to mount
> that drive.
> Actually, I'm a little concerned that maybe CentOS is doing something to
> the drive, some kind of directory reordering or something, because
> whenever I look at the drive from Windows and use Diskeeper
> (defragmenting software), it seems to have excessive fragmentation.
>
> But I don't know for sure that linux is doing anything to the drive, and
> I don't even know for sure that it's because of the drive that the boot
> process now has this added delay.
>
> So my first question, I suppose, is - What do I do to diagnose what is
> causing the delay in my boot process?

I would recommend that you remark out the line that mounts that drive
in /etc/fstab and reboot to see if it still does that.

If it still happens, I would try to setup my machine to boot linux
without that drive present and see if it happened.  (That might entail
changing some drive jumper settings).