[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 16:45:46 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 11:11, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>

>> I'm at a loss for words now.
>>

>> I think that's basically what everyone was saying earlier.
>> Take one system, and use the RPMs in its YUM cache.
>> It's straight-forward and easy to do.
>>

> Please quantify easy.

It is very scriptable.  A simple copy (rsync, cp, scp, etc.) and a single
command to build the metadata (yum-arch in the CentOS 3 case) for each
repo.

[snip]
>  Today I'd have a use for at least 6 variations, although
> I guess you'd double that with the suggested overlap
> of testing/staging instances.

Only if you choose to not use upstream for your testing.

> With a little thought about the process, yum
> updates could be made to be repeatable without extra work, network traffic
> or any other overhead.

All three are required, you are just suggesting pushing them all to the
mirror servers rather than on your local repo.

--
William Hooper