[CentOS] [OT] 3Ware 9.2.1.1 firmware for 9000 series released ...

Remco Barendse redhat at barendse.to
Fri Sep 9 18:12:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 at 7:30pm, Remco Barendse wrote
>
>> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
>>> You can use the 'fw' driver that 3ware distributes.  But, as I mentioned
>>> above, in this case it doesn't include the latest firmware, which is the
>>> one that actually fixes the multiple-unit bug.  So you have to manually
>>> flash it from a DOS environment.  If you can't shoehorn a floppy in
>>> temporarily, have a look at PXE.  Or, just wait -- 3ware says on the
>>> website they'll be releasing an updated driver with the right firmware.
>>
>> Cool, suppose I have the patience to wait, will the fw driver work on a
>> running system that booted from the array with a stock CentOS kernel?
>>
> Yes.  You just need to put the driver in the /lib/modules directory of the
> right kernel (in place of the old driver), and then make a new initrd for
> the kernel you're running.

OK, thanks. Sorry for my next question, how do I create the new initrd
and how do i specify which drivers to (not) include in the new initrd?

This is still blackmagic to me. I have an ISDN PRI card in the system for
which I need a specific driver. There is a driver included with the kernel
which kudzu always wants to install but I don't want initrd to include
that driver.

My current workaround is to pull the card from the box before any
upgrades, not ideal at all

(Sorry if this is really like a n00b's question)