[CentOS] SCSI controller setup

James B. Byrne

ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Fri Sep 9 18:09:57 UTC 2005

I have an IDE based PC running Linux/CentOS4 to which I wish to
attach a scsi dlt.  The host controller is an Adaptec AHA3940
something that lspci reports as:
SCSI storage controller: Initio Corporation 360P (rev 02).

I would like to have the system load the driver for this adapter at
boot but I have two problems: 1. I am not sure which driver to use;
and 2. I do not know how to force Linux to load a driver module.

My research to date indicates that the driver module for this
device likely is one of:

/lib/modules/2.6.9-11.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-11.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-11.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/initio.ko

My reading of man modprobe.conf and modprobe lead me to conclude
that the following needs to be added to /etc/modprobe.conf

install <name of one of the above drives>
alias scsi_host_adapter <name used for install>

Can somebody confirm whether I am on the right track or not and
provide some advice has to how to proceed? Which is the preferred
driver for this card?  Do I have to make additional entries for the
tape drive itself an HP surestore dlt vs80?  How do I create the
necessary /dev/st# and /dev/mt# entries?  Is there a Linux utility
program like kudzu that can probe the hardware and automate any of
this?

I am a digest subscriber so replies that only go to the list will
reach me in about 24 hours.

Regards,
Jim

--